Tuesday, April 1, 2008

The State of our Mitten Basket

Ok. Enough is enough. Winter is over! You hear me??? I am done with you! I hereby declare it to be SPRING!! I have turned the calendar to April, I have ordered, received and cared for such spring-like things as baby chicks and garden seeds. I have put away all space heater devices and I think next I'm going to dig out my shorts and sandals.
Winter has completely depleted our supply of left mittens. There isn't a left mitten in our house! My mittens have been missing since January and I have refused to buy more because spring will be here any day now... The problem is, it keeps snowing and being cold. the kids keep wanting to go outside and play in complete snow gear, but we have the mitten problem. would you all check your vehicles and junk accumulation stations for our mittens? Please send them our way!

8 comments:

Julie Hedeen said...

Tell your children that Grandma Julie has declared Spring. They don't need coats and mittens anymore--ignore the snow. It will disappear before you know it. (Do mittens need to match?) Laura and I MUST get to Burnsville and Rochester and 6:30a and 7:30a respectively, so of course, it MUST be Spring! April--why isn't your birthday this month?

Laura said...

Kris, I have never had a complete set of mittens in my entire life. I have used a combination garden glove and wool sock to great effect...unless I have use my fingers to count....you have chicks right? and they haven't roosted right? so there's no need to count them yet.

Michael said...

You display a callous and utter disregard for pretension, Laura. I am surrounded by practical people. How in the world do you expect an old curmudgeon like me to survive the stress of using simple solutions when a good lecture on the disciplined maintenance of cold-weather gear and a six-week program of clothing discipline would do just as well?

April said...

um, errrrr, well, hmmm. How do I put this? Kris, I know where your mittens are. Yep. Me. I've been assuming winter was here and you wouldn't need them until some point in time when I would happen to remember them when you would happen to be at my house. Yep, they are sitting here in a brown bag on my computer desk... not 2 feet away from me. They were left at Kubats' on seed-splitting day, and she gave them to me a few weeks ago. Oh gee. So, Kris, they are here. There is a left one. They are dry. They seem pretty content. :-)

April said...

Julie, really? My mom hasn't told you whey I was't BORN in April? Do the math, girl. Yeah, I know... TMI!

Julie Hedeen said...

April, it was really nice knowing you. Who is going to care for your children after your mother KILLS you? (signed) Math major

April said...

Believe me... I'm not the one who said it first! She has embarrassed me TOO MANY TIMES with this. Of course, when in more polite company she like to use her more discreet "After 10 years of trying, she was like a breath of spring air to her aging mother." But really... I'm named after April Rose, daughter of author (and my parents' friend) August Derleth (who, interestingly enough, was born in February... go figure!)

Kristen said...

I knew the real reason for April's name and was grateful I didn't have to answer.
About the mittens... Hannah has been getting in trouble for losing my mittens when I guess it was my own fault all along!