Thursday, April 24, 2008

Hop on! There's Room for Everyone!

I know, this isn't a current picture, but it is a fairly accurate portrayal of how I attempt to carve out some horsebackriding time with 4 kids. I know what you're thinking, "That poor horse!" Yeah, I think the same thing, but they seem VERY happy to get out of the muddy, boring pasture and hit the trail, massive load or not. It is true that they would much rather organize a jail-break and just run free, but the nieghbors and farmers REALLY don't appreciate "born free" method of horse raising (Though horses everywhere stand firmly behind it).
Anyway, my point of writing this that I got to go for a ride two nights ago with our retired neighbor, Duane, and my 4 yr. old, John. (Duane rode separately, I might add!) When we got back, Michael hopped on the horse Duane was riding and John got off, the kids handed Joshua (14 mos.) up to me and we rode off into the sunset, baby bobble-head in front of me, just like in this picture. IT's funny how much of life I can handle if I just get a little ride once in a while. It's all I need to keep from going insane and I am grateful my knees haven't completely given out (though they are a little sore and "crackly" when I get off), I can still get on, and I don't need my kids to help me yet.
Mount up! We're burnin' daylight!

3 comments:

Julie Hedeen said...

That is so Hedeen, Kris! Having to get out in the fields first thing in April (March if possible), then burying your tractor or horse or jeep up to it's axles or hocks or roll bars in "Minnesota mud" and loving every minute of it. I can see your smile now! And when you said, "Mount up, we're burnin' daylight," I thought I heard an echo! :)

April said...

I love that picture, Kris! Sounds like a great ride the other day. You're my cowgirl/mommy hero!

Amber E said...

I remember you taking me riding like that! It was fun. Now I look forward to visiting Minnesota to see the people but as a kid I always hoped for a ride.