Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Faith as a Mustard Seed


...for assuredly, I say to you, if you have faith as a mustard seed, you will say to this mountain, 'Move from here to there,' and it will move; and nothing will be impossible for you. Matthew 17:20
Yesterday I spent the late afternoon and evening getting the rest of my seeds in the ground. John and Josh were "helping" me plant lots of zucchini, squash, and pumpkins in large hills of dirt. Hannah was in the pasture cutting sticks from box elder trees to use as stakes to mark our hills. In the pasture, the wild mustard is in full bloom. She picked a bouquet of mustard and brought it to me, asking what kind of flowers they were. As Joshua was trying to plant the mustard flowers in the hill of zucchini, I explained that it was mustard, and said, "You know, Jesus said if we would just have faith as small as a mustard seed, we would tell a mountain to move and it would do it!" At this point, Hannah was walking to the opposite end of the garden. "I sense a sermon coming on, get out of here!" were possibly her thoughts.
As I mounded up the next hill for squash, I was thinking of that verse. What would it be like to have that kind of faith? I know I don't have the faith that moves mountains. Then a light went on and I began to think of this verse in a way I never had before. Now, you have to know that I have not done deep research on this (or any research, for that matter), so don't build a doctrine on it. However, I want your input.
In the past, I have looked at that verse with a bit of hopeless frustration. It even seemed to me, reading the preceding passages, that Jesus was frustrated with the weak faith of His disciples. I would read it as God's disappointment in the weakness of our faith. I know that that is not the case. I would also look at my own weak, pathetic faith, and feel discouraged. I think where my faith has grown the most, is recognizing that I am not God. Meaning it really isn't up to me to get the mountain moved, but it's up to Him. In my life, I have fallen in to the "if I just do more... if I just change this, then..." OR "I haven't been reading my Bible lately, so my prayers don't have the power that ____'s prayers do." OR "I wish I had ____'s relationship with Jesus." OR "____is my loved by God than I am, because look at their faith!" Now I KNOW that these statements are lies. However, I still catch myself hearing those thoughts.
Now, here's what I think mustard seed faith looks like...
You feel that nudge from God to do something, maybe a little out of your comfort zone like ask someone you barely know if you can pray for them. You do it. The return effect is something like, "Wow! Thank you!" or tears. You didn't argue with Him, you just did it.
You are on the phone with a friend you have known for a long time and she discloses to you a very dire financial situation. You feel the nudge of God to bring them meat from the freezer and load up a few bags of meat and bring it to her house. You say, "I think the Lord wants you to have this. I don't know why, but here you go." There are tears in her eyes as you leave. You maybe are told later that she had just prayed that morning that if there were just meat in her freezer, she would know that she could get through this.
You can't stop thinking of someone, so you pray for them. Later you find out that what you were praying for was exactly what they needed at the time.
You know someone who is ill. You pray for them, they get better.
The house is crazy, the kids are fighting, the phone is ringing off the hook, you are ready to tear your hair out. You feel God telling you to pray. You steal away for two minutes, locked in the bathroom with tears streaming down your face just telling the Lord how much you love Him and being in His presence. You return to reality and things are strangely much calmer!
You see, I think that mustard seed faith is knowing who God is on an intimate level and just doing what He tells you to do. Seek Him, steal away with Him, desire Him, know Him.
If you love me, you will obey what I have commanded. John 14:15
It is completely backwards to try to obey Him first. This is where I think a lot of churches frustrate people and drive them away. We can not accomplish the fruit of the Holy Spirit on our own. We cannot fit into this mold of Christ-like perfection apart from an intimate relationship with Him. It takes time to cultivate that kind of relationship. Ask anyone who has been married a few decades. They will tell you the truth! It takes time, it takes endurance, seeking each other out, sharing everything (good and bad). Learning to be real, not what you think the other wants you to be. Our relationship with the Lord really is just like a marriage. It doesn't begin with depth, wisdom, and maturity. Nor should we try to move the mountain first. We should do what He says,
Seek first His kingdom and His righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well. Matthew 6:33
I am not saying that new believers shouldn't bother to pray, nor expect their prayers to be answered. I am just saying that as our relationship with Him grows deeper and stronger, so will our ability to discern His voice, and do what He says. Thus, the mountain moving prayers. Let Him worry about how His will can be accomplished. That's not our problem. We are just called to love Him and obey Him.
I can handle that!
Lord,
Thank you that you have shown me that you know my faith is weak, but You are powerful. It's not about me or my accomplishments, it's about you and yours. I could never move a mountain, no matter how powerful or righteous I might be. (ha, ha!) You are all powerful. It's not my righteousness, but yours. You are amazing, and you love me! Wow! Help me to love you back. Transform me into your likeness. I want to be more like you, not me. I want to do your will, not mine. Help me to seek you first, not all the other things. continue to show me when I'm going about it completely backwards and gently get me back on track. You truly are the Good Shepherd and I love you.
In Jesus name, Amen

4 comments:

Melody said...

Thanks for telling me about that last night. Like I said I had never thought of it like that before. Its good advice :)

Amber Tezel said...

Thanks for sharing this Kris!


It is so much simpler than we tend to make it, isn't it! Thank goodness God is God, and we are not!! :)

Great post Kris!

KaiCeder said...

Hi Kris,

I've wanted to understand those verses as well. I went through tough seasons of feeling like something was wrong with me because the faith that others talked about (basically the "displays" of faith) weren't natural to me or even happening to me. Then I read these verses and it's like my eyes were opened to a very important truth and I felt like I had one more important piece of information in my pocket.

The verses are: James 1:5-7 "If any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask of God, who gives to all liberally and without reproach, and it will be given to him. But let him ask in faith, with no doubting, for he who doubts is like a wave of the sea driven and tossed by the wind. For let not that man suppose that he will receive anything from the Lord;"

Suddenly I understood something. God wants us to ask in faith and I'd always connected that somewhat with works; being good, loving others. almost an attainment to holiness on my own (impossible) that would show I was asking in faith etc. But in fact what I realized is asking in faith is deciding before you even ask that no matter what God says to what you ask that you're going to do it His way and no other way. I believe that that is asking in faith. Trusting Him enough that before the question is even formed on our lips we've already decided that whatever God shows us as direction in regards to that request we're doing it His way. So if we say to that mountain, "Be moved!" It's only because God showed us beforehand or during that that's what He wanted to do. Does this make sense? I may not be articulating it well, but it's really freed me up to minister in a whole new way. I'm not responsible for the results - there may not even be any noticeable results that I ever know about this side of heaven. I'm just responsible to ask in faith - knowing, trusting that the nudge He gives is right no matter what the circumstances around me seem to be indicating.

So many times we have a "Christian Checklist" that we're not even aware of; I've gotta share the gospel every single time there's opportunity no matter what, I've gotta work a bible verse into this conversation or that or whatever. But I believe more and more that walking in faith is the listening for His nudge (like you said) and sometimes being faithful looks like just being a friend with no "Christian agenda" or just being quiet. When I wait for God to lead it seems there is a whole lot more fruit than when I'm following my "Christian agenda".

Sorry if this sounds like a sermon, your blog excited me to think about this once again and I just had to share it with you.

BTW, thanks for getting my girl out of bed the other day.;o)

Kristen said...

Yes! that is exactly what I was trying to say. You articulated it very well :) I think faith has a lot to do with "Just Do It", and not fret over and think about it before acting or asking. Be like a child, right?
I also am so prone to the Christian checklist, there is a fine line for me between cultivating good habits and nurturing the relationship I have with the Lord, and just adding Him to my To Do list. I think I'm probably not alone, here. That's also possible where we cross over from relationship to religion. Not a good place to be. So...not only do I often pray for wisdom, but love from the one who IS love.

Also, I really enjoy bouncing people out of bed. Just ask my kids. "Wakie, wakie!!!"