Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Cooking Day and Ode to April

Cooking Day is over and as I reflect on the toiling, planning, details, shopping and thinking required, I have to give due honor to my dear friend, April. (You thought this was going to be about spring, didn't you?)
Usually she is the backbone of our once a month cooking days, but this month she needed to bow out. Her daughter's prom, graduation, Spring planting and a sister's 5oth birthday party all landing at about the same time made it just not possible. April usually sends out the preliminary menu list, crunches the numbers, plans the shopping list, and hauls everything to my house for cooking day. Once there, she is very on top of things. She is very knowledgeable, and an excellent cook. I have learned a lot from her and have a new appreciation for her attention to details.
It turned out just fine, but I have taken for granted all the hard work she does without complaint. Here is what I realized yesterday...
April is the workhorse.
I am the whiner.
Forgive me.

9 comments:

Melody said...

Yet I look at you as I cut the chicken and think "how can she do all this? plan all this in these amounts and it just works?! And have time to satisfy the toddler at her feet?!?!"

Ha, we all have to look up to someone right!

Kristen said...

I guess it's all relative, isn't it? April was the submissive Titus 2 wife way before it was cool. I had no idea...

Kristen said...

Oh, it was just about 5 years ago that I said to April and her dad, "Ok, I hate to touch raw meat, but can you teach me to cut up chicken?" I cut up maybe fifty that day. You are WAY ahead of me, Melody!

April said...

Oh Kris, that is so sweet. My own ode! But really, how I do graciously say "thank you" but also--I don't deserve that praise! Usually I'm running around here like a chicken with its head cut off, rushing about trying to pull things together. Deadlines are God's way to make me get things done, usually at the expense of much sleep. :-)

You silly girl, you teach me plenty (and then some!), and I need your 'I am the voice of reason' speech all the time. You are no whiner, but quite the workhorse in your own right!

As for attention to detail... did you get all the skin off those potatoes????

April said...

Did you both notice how chickens keep cropping up in this discussion... hmmmmmmmmm

Melody said...

Well April, I saw many a chicken with its head cut off on Tuesday and you don't even slightly resemble one :)

April said...

Let's see... white skin, kinda plump... yep, that's me! But unlike those poor gals, I do have my head on, just sometimes act like I lost it!

Kristen said...

YOu guys are too cute! I have the best friends. Thank you, God!

Melody said...

You know an "ode" should rhyme and be put in verses.
Like this:
Oh April how we admire
Thy hard and honest work
How relentlessy you toil
To make all the lists without a quirk

Your hands were greatly needed
As we cut chicken from the bone
As we toiled hard with labored brows
And got the work all done

It would have been far simpler
If you could have been around
But in your absence food still got made
Recipes pound after pound

Next month maybe you'll have the chance
To work alongside once again
But until then we will have to listen
To Kris say everynow and then...

"If April were here you would see
cooking at its best.
Alas till then you will have
to settle with slicing chicken breast"