Monday, February 11, 2008

Mondays are for Character Building

Here is a typical Monday at our house...
I oversleep because I'm tired from working 3 12hr shifts. The kids are refreshed after a relaxing weekend with Daddy (and have slept in already the past two mornings) and get up early. They are able to feed themselves breakfast, but sometimes (like this morning) there are LOTS of Cheerios on the living room carpet. I wake up to Michael saying goodbye, which is two hours later than I like to get up. I spend the rest of the day scrambling to catch up with my troops. I have to make lots of important decisions (executive decisions) like: Read my Bible and pray now or in the afternoon when I have that quiet time that never really happens? Shower now or walk around grungy (sp?) and itchy 'til noon? Start schoolwork now, on time and forget my morning routine, or do my morning routine and start school late (which inevitably leads to slice and dice of assignments, so I guess that's out...)? Start supper, or plan for a frozen pizza or pb&j night? Okay, now how 'bout that laundry?
I used to have unrealistic expectations for Mondays. I thought I could get up on time, have an amazing mountain-top experience with the Lord, be showered, hair done, make-up on, Michael's lunch made, coffee brewed, breakfast made, the first load of laundry in, and supper in the crock pot before 7am. I surrender. I can't do it. I've found it IS best for all of us if I sleep in a bit on Monday, the laundry gets started, but maybe not finished 'til Wednesday, and baby Joshua gets a little more "mommy-time". Michael reheats yesterday's coffee and puts together his own lunch (he NEVER expects me to do these things for him and always seems joyful and surprised when I do). We do our school work with fits and starts as we all are trying to get back on track. Amazingly, we do manage to get things done before Daddy gets home and there is a lot less blood shed.
I think my family likes me a lot more when I freak out less. That's my goal: to be a freakless mommy.
Ok, now, off to violin lessons, swimming lessons at the YMCA, home for a slam-it-down-your-gullet supper, then off to a 4H sledding party.
I am calm.
I am in control.
I have no idea what my kids are doing right now...

5 comments:

Julie Hedeen said...

Is this the moment that you want to hear that even when the kids grow up and can tie their own shoes and buckle their own seat belts and wipe their own butts, the house may STILL be cluttered? Here's the deal. For every free moment you acquire, you pack in a new activity, and I am NOT talking crafts or meditation here. I'm talking worthwhile activities--philanthropic stuff. But hey like you said, (I think you said this didn't you? or maybe it was Mom . . .) in a hundred years, who will know if the house was a mess? I remember Mom in tears on her (I think) 60th birthday. I asked her why she was sad and she said, "I used to think I was disorganized because I had lots of children. But they've all grown up and I STILL feel disorganized! WAAAH!" So I'm going to be 60 in March. Some MIGHT call me organized, but then it really depends on how you define organized. No that sounds like Bill Clinton. I am also doing many things and not finishing most. That would be, NOT organized. But I'm fun--when I'm not being the evil emperor.

Unknown said...

First time using BlogSpot...
Here is Vincent, writing from France.
I don't know if I'm gonna find out my passwords for Google so maybe this message will never be read lol.
Mondays at Delks' home are very busy days, and I think Mondays are very tiring days for you, even if you worked a lot previous days…
But it’s only the beginning of 25 years of looking after kids so hold on!
For now I didn’t rise my own kids so I can’t give you tips but I expect you to tell me yours ones when I need it :p
It will be easier when Mathew will be 16y.o. so I can drive and bring kids where they need to go and you will have a little bit of more free time.
See I learnt a new grammatical syntax in English, I should have helped you more when I was in Minnesota. Correct?
So now it’s time to post the comment (crossing fingers, I hope it’s the good password lol) and going back to the blog, reading the following…

April said...

Kris, You mean I don't have to feel guilty when I sleep in?! Hmmm, I laugh when I read about your trials with late mornings (which tend to be MUCH earlier than my normal mornings!)I'm glad you are getting over that perfectionist complex you have. :-) And hey, those Cheerios make a great morning snack for the baby! heehee.
April

Amber E said...

Hi Kris,
I miss you, your family is so much fun. Okay, yes, I recogize that you are busy and trying to de-stress but you guys are still great. I figure just try to miss stepping on the Cheerios and it will all be okay.

Julie, how do I know when you are being the evil emperor? Do you set a warning sign at the bottomw of the driveway?
Amber

Julie Hedeen said...

Just check with Laura or Greg. They'll let you know!