Friday, August 29, 2008

Where I Would Rather Be



Where has this summer gone? Maybe it's just me, but it seems like it has been three months of chaos and I really never got any down-time. We booked a week at Fenske Lake for some Boundary Waters canoeing and then we cancelled after getting hit by the tornado in July. Now I am really regretting it. This picture is what I am longing for. Quiet lakes, loons with their babies, the gentle splashing of the paddle, no errands, no garden weeding, no beans that need to be canned, no work calling and asking me to come in on my day off, no fighting, tattling, or hitting. The lawn doesn't need mowing, the projects are all done, the kids are all clean, smiling, and quiet. Michael has no work to do, the checkbook is balanced and in the black, dinner is made and everyone likes it, everyone is healthy, the laundry is done, the dishes are done, the floors are clean, and I can really, truly let my mind relax. Please don't wake me!!

I think that I grossly underestimated the importance of summer vacation and now that fall is upon us and we are back to school at our house I find that I am not ready for summer to be over. I WANT MY VACATION!!

Michael and I do have a date tonight...hopefully that will help.

6 comments:

adnan said...

a nice blog.

April said...

Oh man, Kris. I am right there with you!!! I see pictures of Fenske, and I almost cry. Really. Did you know that once you get to Victoria you can role down the windows and smell Fenske in all its piney wonderfulness? You can. When we go up, I make everyone role down their windows and we zoom along Highway 1, knowing that each mile is bringing us closer. oh man, I miss it.

Kristen said...

We do the same thing!! We really still need a mini vacation. Maybe we can take the canoe into the pond...

Kristen said...

April,
Are you up at 7am?? Are you still up from yesterday, or are you up early for the fair? Very unlike you to be online in the daylight! BTW, if you want chickens, come and get them. We have too many to feed this winter.

April said...

Hi Kris,
We were at the fair today. So yep, I was online before heading out for the day. We had a great time. I'll have to post the pictures from the kids' performances on my gallery sometime. Maybe I should start a blog entitled "Crazy 4-H Mom" where I can brag up all my kids' stuff. :-)

Oh, and I'll have you know, I went to bed at 10:30 last night! No foolin!

Unknown said...

Hi Kris,
I haven't been visiting this blog (or blogs in general) for a long time and i apologize for it.
When you are getting used to a calm way of life (vacation for example), it's sometimes very hard to go back to normal life with stress, noise, no time to rest...
So envoy as much as you can vacation times!