Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Retro Mama


I am sad to report that my dishwasher did not survive the zucchini bread making marathon. You can't rinse zucchini shreds out of all the dishes used and I guess it was just to much for the old gal and she choked. After the eighth time of washing, drying, then putting away the dishes, I decided I'm really not enjoying this retro-mama experience. Even with my retro apron on, I cannot smile.
Dewey, the appliance repair man who now is on a first name basis with all of us here (this is the Year of the Appliance), came with his appliance ambulance, loaded her up and took her to his hospital. His parting words were, "I don't think I'll have it done this week, but next week for sure!"
That sounded rather vague, don't you think?
The thing that aggravates me most is nothing makes my kids and husband feel like fixing a snack like an empty sink. Every time I turn around it's half-full of dishes! ARRRGH!! I need to create a menu that does not involve dishes. Like trail mix and water...

9 comments:

Julie Hedeen said...

My sympathies for your loss. I'm in mourning for my water softener, reminded EVERY morning as I try to wash my hair with limestone slurry. I also can't use my dishwasher because I'm pretty sure I know how it would do with "rock-washing." Not that I'm whining of course . . . And I think you are onto something with your noticing that they want to eat as soon as you're done cleaning up the kitchen. I used to wonder if a freshly vacuumed carpet made John think of popcorn.

Kristen said...

I am laughing too hard to type!

Julie Hedeen said...

Regarding crazy retroness: You didn't mention castrating pigs. That's kind of "little house on the prairie" isn't it? and you know (maybe you don't want to know?) that you are starting to get like your parents. Do you feel an urge to dig a root cellar yet? Or tap a maple tree?

April said...

OH NO!!! Evil zucchini!!! Bad Bad BAD zucchini! I have a few baseball bats out in my garden that I'm considering salvaging for bread. Or not. I couldn't deal with the non-dishwasherness. I did that earlier this summer when I was in Julie's boat (I'm feelin' for you, hon.) Lots of money later we have good soft water, and I use my dishwasher with glee.

April said...

As I tell Mike, have I told you lately how much I LOVE my dishwasher???

Amber E said...

Dishwashers are lovely. Can people survive for a few days on bread, cheese and apples? I think you can eat all of those without dishes, except you might possibly need a knife...I do hate it when I clean things and they get messed up right away.

Kristen said...

I just got back from Walmart where I spent $175 on bread, bananas, fish sticks, chicken nuggets, pizza, cheese (I am outraged by how much cheese costs now!) and other finger foods. Ok, I also got a laminator because office supplies make me very happy and make me think I am organized and in control. Anyway, I can't live without my dishwasher, at least not very graciously. I think I will go laminate some chicken nuggets for a midnight snack.

Tracy said...

In regards to the crazy retro things you do ... it make me want to tell you how VERY NOT LAZY you truly are!!! I know how to make delicious pie crust and bread .... but 49 times out of 50 I just buy it ready-made. As my grandpa would say ... "Ho Hum" (I think that always meant he was feeling lazy)

Kristen said...

I know. It's funny when we go on vacation, Michael and I go crazy when we don't have a lengthy agenda of things to do. OUr kids hate this about us :-)