Sunday, February 1, 2009

Wearing Day Cream at Night

I really don't do well on the night shift. I count down the days until I have to pull this marathon of 12 hour night shifts and dread it. It takes a toll on my body and mind. Not to mention my housework and family. I am up all night again tonight, feeling a little like the Maytag repairman, just waiting to get paged. I brought food, snacks, and some projects to work on, but come 3 am, I am virtaully worthless. Tick, tick tick... that's how the last four hours go, unless there is crisis. Then my shaky adrenalin rush kicks in and I am able to rise to the level of mediocre performance and get the job done. Okay, I am exaggerating a bit. When a crisis happens, I do snap to it and function pretty well. I don't want to scare anyone! In fact, I prefer it be busy. That way I don't have time to sit and get sleepy. If it's not busy, we eat...and be silly. Both activities I really enjoy.

3 comments:

Amber E said...

Going from days to nights is awful. I've done it and staying awake is a struggle. It's got to be hard doing that and then going back to being awake during the day. I wish you had some way around doing that every few weeks.

Julie Hedeen said...

I got up at 4:30 am Monday morning and thought about calling you, but then I thought it would scare you thinking someone was calling in sick and you'd have to deal with that. So I just brushed my teeth and went to work. I do those night shifts, but they aren't good for your body, especially when you just do one once in a while. You basically don't sleep for 24 + hours.

April said...

Sometimes I get to talk to you and that's fun, though. :-)

And, you seem to blog when you do nightshifts... I like that.

But other than that (and the fact that you are bringing in some moola) those nightshifts are tough. Thanks for giving me your survival hints when I was doing that. I'm a night person, so that staying up part didn't bother me... it was the part where I was supposed to be a mom during the daylight hours that about killed me.

Hey, you need to "follow" my blog. I'm feeling unloved.