Monday, March 31, 2008

The Crazy Life

I think I need to change the title to my blog. I think the Crazy Life is much more appropriate. I am soooooo sorry for dropping off the radar, but I have been taken out for the past 3+ weeks.
Let me tell you my story...
Ok, so you know about Michael being gone, then the classes I had to go to, you know I work from time to time, so I have to fit that in, then there's the kids, spouse, house, laundry, social events, oh, yeah, then there's Joshua breaking his leg!!! I've heard about other peoples' kids breaking bones, but never my own. Yep, he got a broken leg. My precious little 13 month old child... damaged and fractured. We all felt so bad, but not nearly as bad as he did. Michael was getting him dressed on the changing table, not knowing I abandoned use of the changing table long ago becaue he will NOT hold still!! He was about to put his shirt over his head when Joshua rolled towards Daddy and right off the changing table landing feet first on the floor. I guess children that age are not meant to JUMP off things. He sustained (that's nurse talk) a buckle fracture of his left tibia. He did not need a cast, but we were told no weight-bearing for 1-2 weeks. All right, anyone have toddlers out there? Have you ever tried to confine them? Needless to say, it was frustrating for all of us. I did purchase an umbrella stroller to use in the house as his "wheelchair", then we all just took turns carrying him. The first few days went fairly well as he did not want to stand on it because it hurt, but then he started to compensate in questionable ways, like walking on his tip-toes (I tried it and it does take the wieght off the tibia- very clever), he also started walking on his knees (this I eventually allowed because it was so darn cute). we did get through one week of no weight bearing, then I figured when the doctor said one to two weeks he really meant one, so we turned him loose. At his follow up visit, the bone was healed on x-ray, so he officially got the "all clear". Whew.
After the fractured baby adventure, I got influenza from my mother. Thanks Mom. Read her latest posting on her blog (see link to the side) for more details on that lovely gift. Let me just say that I was VERY sick for a full two weeks. Michael had to take a week off just to take care of me. I didn't even ask him to, he just looked at me (pathetic and still in bed) Monday morning before leaving for work and said, "I can't leave you like this, I think I need to stay home." So any of you have work-aholic husbands like me? I think you can see how sick I really was! After that Monday, he didn't get back to work until the following week. Seriously, for two days I felt that this is what it must be like to die. Looking back, I feel like it was the grace of God that I lived through it. I am so happy to be well!!
So that brings us to this week. I have been truly healthy for 3 days. Now my blog is updated, my laundry is done, my seeds are started, my chicks have been moved to the garage, we got our standardized testing done for Matthew and Hannah (for homeschooling), I made a nice supper, and I'm back to work. I feel like I've accomplished a few things and am guilt-free!
I've missed you all and look forward to catching up with you.

8 comments:

Julie Hedeen said...

You're entirely welcome Kris--influenza, the gift that keeps on giving! Tom just called me tonight, he is coughing and feverish and hoarse; sounds just like the "Martian death flu" to me! He told me at the clinic they suggested he just call in sick for three days right away. I agree. What was also terrible is that feeling that you must rest, you are too weak to do anything, but you are so achy there is no comfortable position to lay in. I guess my "kickbutt" immune system must have an attack mode. I'll try to switch it off now.

Kristen said...

Tom tried to call me today but didn't leave a message. I guess he was calling to tell me he has fever and death. I hope he makes it!
Really, not funny. It was the most horrible experience of my life. I take back anything I may have said about my first childbirth experience feeling like I was going to die. That was completely wrong because under the tremendous pain was a healthy, strong person. Influenza feels like death and that's no joke.

Kristen said...

Oh, I forgot to mention the car accident! My van is not so pretty. I now drive a vehicle held together by duct tape. Red Green enthusiast ought to be down right proud of me!!

April said...

Holy cow, Kris! You've done all that in just three days?! THE LAUNDRY IS DONE???? You amaze me. Well, I'm so glad you are alllll better!

Hey, I have plants taking over my house. No chicks yet. We are doing the low-maintenance chicken-raising this year (a.k.a. waiting until it's warm enough to not have them in the house where hubbie will have a major asthma attack). With this snow that just doesn't stop, we might not ever see chicks until August. (Oh no... I keep telling myself it will be early May. I don't want to be butchering in the heat. YUCK)

Well, now there's something to end this comment on. But no, let's go back to those plants that are taking over my house. Elias tried to help me out in that department. He got a scissors and neatly clipped off about 8 tomatoes and 6 peppers. Oh gee.

Kristen said...

Oh, my! that is so sad. He killed them! Especially peppers and tomatoes, the bread and butter of the garden.
BTW, Michael helped me with the laundry... um, a lot. I can't take credit for that one. He's still in the "my wife is sick and I am Mr. Mom" mode. I'm not stopping him.

Michael said...

April, I ran into your husband (on foot, not in a vehicle) at the gas station this morning. He said his wife was up late last night. Funny, my wife was up late last night as well.

April said...

All of my highschool sleepovers were for naught... it took overnight shifts to get Kris to stay up late with me. Talking of Mike, he is on his way home after giving up on his country route--got stuck at his first stop. YUCK! (But good for me--I have a hubbie home today!)

Kristen said...

Yeah, she's alwapys getting me into trouble. Bad influence!!